Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Walter Jones Response to "Internet Passport"

February 8, 2011

Dear Ms. Childs:


Thank you for contacting me regarding the Obama Administration's proposal for an "internet passport." I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

On January 7th, President Barack Obama's Cyber Security Czar Howard Schmidt and U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke, announced plans for what amounts to a national ID card for the internet. Instead of logging into secure websites, such as your email or your bank, the White House will develop what it calls an "identity ecosystem" that will centralize personal information and credentials. Please be assured that I strongly oppose this proposal. This proposal would be an unnecessary expansion of government and is ripe for abuse of citizen's private information.

While the Administration claims this would be voluntary, I am deeply suspicious of anything that could become a national ID card. The simple fact is the government has more than enough access to our personal information already; I do not see the purpose of creating another government entity to collect personal citizens' information, even if voluntarily given. Should legislation regarding this issue come to the House Floor for a vote, I will be sure to keep the thoughts and views you have expressed to me in mind.

Again, thanks for sharing your concerns with me. If I may be of any further assistance please feel free to contact my office.

Sincerely,
Walter B. Jones
Member of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment