Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Senator Hagan Responds on Internet Privacy

Wed, March 2, 2011

March 2, 2011

Dear Friend,  (I am not your friend--you can call me Ms. Childs!)

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the proposed "Internet ID" or "Internet Passport." I appreciate hearing your concerns about this important issue.

On January 7, 2011, White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt delivered remarks regarding a forthcoming U.S. Commerce Department proposal, "National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace." The proposal, which the Commerce Department will release in the next few months, seeks to reduce online identity theft and other emerging cybersecurity threats. To accomplish that goal, the proposal seeks to create an "Identity Ecosystem" that would better authenticate the identity of consumers who do business online.

Rest assured, I understand your concerns about this proposal and was relieved when Schmidt said it would not result in a mandatory, government-issued ID for Internet users. As I review the Commerce Department's proposal in the coming months, I will certainly keep your thoughts and concerns in mind. As we move forward, I believe that we must continue to ensure the privacy rights of Internet users.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Kay R. Hagan

No comments:

Post a Comment