Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sun Journal New Bern, NC: Letter to the Editor, Voter ID

December 03, 2011
I am ashamed and appalled over Voter ID.

I am ashamed and appalled that my bank requires me have a form of ID to cash my checks, or even to check my balance!

I am ashamed and appalled that a police officer requires me to have a form of ID to drive my own automobile.

I am ashamed and appalled that a game warden would require me to purchase a hunting license to hunt public land.

I am ashamed and appalled that the state of North Carolina requires me to carry my boat registration card with me when I am on the water (not to mention all of those safety devices, like life preservers). I am ashamed and appalled that the hospital requires me to have a form of ID to be admitted to the hospital.

I am ashamed and appalled that the State ABC store requires me to have a form of ID.

I am ashamed and appalled that the airport requires me to have a form of ID to fly!

I am ashamed and appalled that I have to show ID to buy a single pack of cigarettes.

Since the true purpose of these laws is “obviously” to restrict or discourage some citizens from banking, driving autos, hunting, boating, using the hospital, drinking, flying (not to be confused with flying AND drinking) and smoking.

I am shocked!

I am calling on Governor Perdue to get rid of all of these ridiculous rules that affect the elderly, young, middle age, the disabled and the able, rich and poor the middle class, white and black and every color between, men, women and trans gender. It’s time we fight this racism, sexism, ageism, ableism, and bullyism..

~Sarcasm off~

L. Jordan, New Bern

http://www.newbernsj.com/articles/appalled-102548-ashamed-requires.html

No comments:

Post a Comment