Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sun Journal New Bern, Letter to the Editor: Prayer, by CCTA Member, Tyker Gonzales

March 9, 2012
After reading this past Sunday’s paper and the letters to the editor, one struck my eye, and actually my heart. It was a rebuttal letter referring to Mrs. Dorothy Vogel’s letter about prayer, specifically the right to do so in the name of Jesus Christ. While reading the rebuttal there seemed to be anger in the writing that came forth through the words and I would like to help explain some issues that I hope will remove any anger.


First, I do believe that praying in the name of Jesus is a freedom. Until the past few years it was never questioned. It was just something that most of us (here in the Bible belt especially) are used to doing because Jesus says in the Bible, "And whatever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son," so this is why Christians pray in the name of Jesus. It’s not meant to offend anyone (although for some reason it does); it’s never been a mandate for all to participate, in fact to the contrary. Just as God gives each one of us a choice in whether or not to believe in Him, His Son and the Holy Spirit, He never would force us to love Him let alone force us to pray to Him. By giving us this choice, He shows His love for us. If you don’t believe, that is absolutely up to you, but according to the Christian belief, a lack of thereof will not land you in a positive place after death. Again let me stress, this is not mandated; all are choices. That is true freedom. Christians are supposed to be Christ-like, therefore they also give others their freedom in whether or not to participate in prayer or sharing in the faith.


Let me explain it this way: I have children. I love them both with every part of my being and I want them to love me in the same manner, but I can’t make them love me. Even if I could it wouldn’t be the same; they would be more like robots. I want them to love me because THEY WANT TO. To a Christian, what is love? "Love is patient, love is kind, love does not envy, love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek it’s own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the Truth, ... Love never fails … now abide in faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these is love." This is how I want to be loved, this is how God wants to be loved, this is how, if we truly love, are supposed to be, loving others as ourselves, again all by choice, one that we are supposed to be free to make.


Why would anyone think that because a prayer is offered in Jesus’ name, that all in attendance are being forced/mandated to pray? All prayer is, is showing love, love of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and love for the people. Why does that offended people? What a sad place this world is in when love becomes offensive.


Now, America was formed on the basis of freedom. Separation of church and state was placed to keep the government from mandating religion on its people. Offering a prayer before meetings, school gatherings or any other function is again, not a mandate of participation and I am unaware of any such event with the disclaimer that "all must pray." If there are those who wish not to, they can just remain silent for a few moments. It is however a freedom that those who are leading whatever said event can chose to do as individual people of this great free nation. If the leaders of such events were Muslim, Buddhists, Jewish or any other religion, I would expect their prayers to be offered, but it certainly doesn’t mean I would be forced to pray with them either. If the ones leading are refused the right to pray in whatever name they chose as members of this nation, isn’t that in itself a violation of their freedom?


Did the people themselves not vote these representatives of the people into office? If the people didn’t want "Christians" in office then one would assume they wouldn’t vote for one. However in this country, the majority of voters choose who will represent them and we happen to have (I’m proud to say) seven Christian men who represent Craven County as commissioners. They all pray, they all have the right to pray, as they believe in or out of office. If the majority of the voters of this county wanted otherwise, they would have voted for others who were non-believers. But the amazing fact is, most folks who have run for these offices are also Christian. If and when our country reaches a point of a majority of atheists or any given religion other then Christianity, I suppose we will have to follow the will of the people then, but we are not there now.


I watched an interview with one of the Rowan County commissioners. The Rowan commissioners are continuing to pray with no changes even in light of the recent courts decision. The reporter asked a question as to this particular commissioner’s position with upholding the Constitution (referring to the separation of church and state). His response was beautiful … he stated that his hand was on the BIBLE as he took the oath, what about his personal rights of freedom of religion and speech?


I am not angry, but again am hurt that so many who claim the title of Christian would rather keep silent then to exercise their freedom of religion and speech. Jesus said, "You will be persecuted for my name’s sake." If we don’t speak His name no one will have to worry about persecution. There are hundreds of examples throughout the Scriptures where silence was not an option. If the disciples had been silent, Christianity would have been over 2,000 years ago. If the Jewish descendants had been silent, their faith and populations would have become extinct.


I had a friend tell me to turn the other cheek, but this is not my cheek to turn. I will gladly let anyone criticize me, dislike me, reprimand me, and give them additional opportunities to do so and still love them while praying for them. But I cannot be silent while the main faith that this nation was founded upon is continually denied the freedom of being represented.


I will love ALL willingly, I will keep my faith and I will pray in Jesus’ name always especially for those who persecute the faith in whatever form.


Tyker Gonzales, Cove City, NC 

http://www.newbernsj.com/articles/sunday-104955-letter-past.html

No comments:

Post a Comment