Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Prelutsky Platform

By Burt Prelutsky • May 12, 2012

A while back, one of my readers, whom we'll call Cosmo, sent me an angry challenge. He wrote: "I watch Fox, I listen to Rush and I read you. I do this because I'm trying to understand conservatives. I see them and you bashing liberal policies, but I don't see any of you coming up with alternative policies."


To be totally honest, I never really thought it was my mission to come up with alternative policies. I figured it was enough that I pointed out how awful the policies of this current administration are, and how great a menace Barack Obama, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi, our own little axis of evil, pose to America and our allies.


Iran, Syria and North Korea, are evil and dangerous, but they don't have the power to destroy our freedoms or scuttle our economy. They might wish to see us on our knees, but they simply don't have the ability to saddle us with a debt that will make our currency worthless, turn our children and grandchildren into paupers, and leave our military in shambles.


Still, I am not one to shirk a challenge. So I sent Cosmo the following message: "I can't speak for Rush Limbaugh or Fox News, but this would be my platform if I were the Republican candidate running against Obama. First off, I would cut spending drastically. That would mean that we all face up to the fact that Social Security and Medicare cannot continue as they are. If that requires raising retirement age or even reducing payments across the board by, say, 5%, so be it. Either we act like mature adults or we slaughter the goose that lays the golden eggs.


"We join with Israel to end Iran's nuclear ambitions, and we provide Poland and the Czech Republic with the missile defense program they were promised before Obama caved to Russia's demands. Next, we let Russia know that there's a new sheriff in town. When they ask something of us, we say, 'Nyet. You guys don't get to keep opposing us in the U.N. when it comes to Syria and then expect us to do you bums any favors.'

CONTINUED:  http://www.burtprelutsky.com/2012/05/prelutsky-platform.html

No comments:

Post a Comment