Wednesday, January 18, 2012

FOX NEWS: Police chiefs to discuss terrorism at White House

Published January 18, 2012

The Obama administration is providing senior state and local police officials with its analysis of homegrown terrorism incidents, including common signs law enforcement can use to identify violent extremists.

The warning signs identified for police include someone joining a group advocating violence, receiving support from a network that plans attacks or seeking out charismatic leaders who encourage violence. The analysis was conducted by the Homeland Security Department, the FBI and the National Counterterrorism Center. An overview of the findings was shared with The Associated Press.

The conference Wednesday at the White House marks the first time this unclassified analysis will be presented to 46 senior federal, state and local law enforcement officials, many of whom are police chiefs and sheriffs. The conference will also include sessions on other programs the federal government has for countering violent extremism and a briefing from a deputy chief of the Los Angeles Police Department about what the city has done on this front.

"Engaging local communities is critical to our nation's effort to counter violent extremism and violent crime, and this meeting brings together many of our partners," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said. Napolitano, Attorney General Eric Holder and the president's counterterrorism adviser, John Brennan, planned to attend the White House conference.

There has been an uptick in attempted attacks by Americans and other legal U.S. residents in the past few years, prompting the Obama administration to place a priority on finding ways to stop this type of violence. The administration rolled out a thin strategy last year that put local communities — not Washington — in charge of countering violent extremism in the U.S. That strategy was short on details and did not focus on threats from Islamic extremists.

The White House has encouraged law enforcement to reach out to Muslim communities to build relationships, insisting that these communities are partners in the fight against terrorism. At the same time, the government is trying to develop ways to help local law enforcement detect behavior that could indicate someone is plotting a violent attack. The challenge has been to provide behavioral indicators that indicate the potential for violence rather than religious beliefs or other constitutionally-protected rights.

Analysts from the FBI, Homeland Security Department and National Counterterrorism Center reviewed 62 cases of homegrown violent extremists and found basic similarities.  The cases included violent extremists who adhered to a mix of ideologies, including people who ascribed to white supremacist beliefs and people inspired by a violent interpretation of Islam. The analysis is not a psychological profile of a homegrown terrorist, but instead offers similarities among cases that could help local law enforcement better understand and detect threats.

In the 62 cases reviewed, (HERE COMES THE SCARY PART) the subjects increasingly spoke out against the government, blamed the government for perceived problems and did so in a way that caught the attention of other people in their communities, according to the senior counterterrorism official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the private White House event. Subjects became active on the Internet to espouse extremist views. In some cases, the subjects purchased weapons, ammunition or explosive materials.

Analysts found that a person's origin, ethnic background and socioeconomic status are not good indicators for potential violent extremist activity, the senior counterterrorism official said

CONTINUED:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/18/police-chiefs-to-discuss-terrorism-at-white-house/#ixzz1jrSLoZXX
 

1 comment:

  1. Greetings to everyone on this blog forum, I want to tell you all about a financial breakthrough that Mr, lee offered me to get through when I was starving with my business and family during the covid19 pandemic. I came across Mr lee on blog spot by someone recommends him to anyone looking for loan I was so excited and I got motivated too to be in that position of financial freedom as my family was starving, I contacted Mr lee on what's app which I told him my life story about financial situation he sends me an application form to fill with my details which I did then after he sends me loan agreement then I forwarded it to my lawyer to take a look and advise me on how to go about it then after I signed the loan agreement after that my loan was approved few hours back bank contact me for funds transfer and charges that I need to clear at the bank counter I cleared the charges which I received my loan the next day that I cleared the bank charges so it's was really nice working with Mr lee and I thank him a lot of the help that he gave me which really help my family from starvation. Contact Mr Lee on Email: 247officedept@gmail.com or talk to him on whatsapp + 19893943740. For quick response because he's always busy but they have some other professional team co-worker working with him as well but I recommend Mr Lee to anyone looking for financial help.

    ReplyDelete